Thursday, January 3, 2013

Change


Starting out in the photography world, I had no idea I'd be where I am right now in just two short years. I still have a long way to go but for 2013 I decided this is my year. A year for change and a year to prosper. To make myself the best person I can be.
It was often a question I asked myself all my life.. "why am I here... what is my reason for walking this Earth"? I am in complete awe to finally feel at peace with this question. I truly believe I was put here to capture memories. To capture LIFE that not every one is fortunate enough to see. I am here to show you that magic does exist and you find it in the light of a child's eye. 
It's funny the way things work. Like when you graduate high school with full intentions on going to college to become a veterinarian or a vet tech only to wind up becoming a photographer only because I followed my heart. Yes, my head told me I was crazy… no 18 year old just becomes a photographer and actually starts a business. But I went for it. I had all my resources… my camera and my computer with a little bit of know how and just did it. Of course, there's many things I would have done differently but all those things made me who I am today so I'm not ashamed. 
I was the one in the 6th grade taking pictures of all my friends because they didn't have cameras yet. We didn't just whip out our cell phones to snap a picture or anything like that so I'd take all kinds of crazy pictures my middle school years then get them printed and hand out pictures to all my friends. I was the one at every event taking a picture because to me it was my way of remembering it forever. Clicking that shutter is my way of never losing that moment. I was the one who had an i Zone instant camera for most of my life taking pictures of anything and EVERYTHING. My animals (goats, pigs, dogs, chickens, you name it I photographed it), my family and friends are all captured in my albums to never be forgotten. 
I think I have always been infatuated with photography because I remember all the years at home I'd sit for hours looking through old photo albums picking out my favorite pictures just to add them to my own albums. 
I have always been infatuated with the image itself.. not just the subject. I always looked at the lighting.. the pose, the feeling you receive from the subject, the composition. 
I think an accumilation of all these things throughout my past have led me to where I am now and I couldn't imagine slaving away at any other job than one that I love. Growing up I always heard the "grown ups" say, "Find a job you really enjoy doing because you will have to wake up every morning and deal with it. Find something that doesn't feel like work because you enjoy doing it that much". And well I think I found that. 
By gosh, this business does get rough, though! This is why I have spent the past month contemplating where 2013 will lead. In 2012 I have had the chance to succeed in some things while fail at others. Failure only taught me lessons so now I need to apply them so I can offer the best service I can possibly offer. 
Starting off with the changes, I would like to formally announce that I am not accepting any more weddings. I have 3 fabulous brides who booked me last year for 2013 so they will be my only weddings. I am doing this so I can put my full focus towards families and children. This will give me a chance to better my business and will allow for more time without having to handle the crazy wedding seasons.  I LOVE to shoot weddings because of the beauty and emotion but I have ran to the end of the thread and it's time for something new. I never wanted to put myself out there as a "wedding photographer" so I finally decided either I need to take it head on and do the whole "wedding photog" thing or take a step back and focus on other things. So I did. And here I am.
Another major change coming to MHP is the way my pricing and packages will work. I am no longer offering CDs to regular client sessions. All sessions will be delivered via Dropbox which is an awesome little box that will deliver all your images from your session digitally through your email. That way you have no reason to lose a CD or scratch it and you receive your images A LOT faster. CDs are going out of style the same way records have. If you would still like to have something tangible to store your images on I will offer CDs and USBs at an extra charge. I am still working out all the kinks in my flow for receiving images so bear with me while I try to figure out what will work best for my business and you all.
Another change will be in the pricing. You will notice an increase for sessions fees. This is due to higher demand and because as a photographer I was simply not making enough. Being a true photographer is not about just snapping pictures then running to a free edit program and quickly editing them in one day. This is the way a lot of people start out but if you plan to be a respectable photog you will show improvement. There will be a defying moment when enough is enough and you have to move up the totem pole. I have done my fair share of free sessions, discounted sessions, sessions because I felt bad for that person, getting underpaid to shoot 8 hour long weddings.. but it was all for me to LEARN. I had hands on experience and forced myself in to these situations so I could come out a better person. A smarter photographer. 
Now, I may not have children or a husband or a big house with payments or anything like that… so granted.. I have been able to be on the bottom of the totem pole for awhile. I have made enough to "live" but not enough to start a life for my future... whether it be a family or more schooling. This year that has to end. I am confident enough in my abilities as your educated photographer to offer a pricing that will be more profitable for me so I can offer you an all around quality experience with MHP. Clicking that shutter is more than just pressing a button. I am capturing the spur of a moment in a time capsule… something you can take out and show to your children's children. I want to be able to spend more time with each client, personalizing their session to fit their needs. Creating artwork.
As a 'legit' photographer raising my prices doesn't automagically mean I am making more. It means I am able to offer more. I pay taxes, I will have monthly memberships for online programs and galleries, I will have photographers insurance, liability, maintenance on my equipment… and upgrades to equipment… the list could go on and on… which is for another day, another blog. But you get the point. 
I will also be requiring nonrefundable deposits and contracts/releases signed before each session digitally or in person consultations can be offered. I have had too many cancellations that has led up to this so this is my way of knowing who is serious about their session and who isn't. I don't have time to dance around if you can do a session or not because I have other clients that I could be taking care of. Simple as that.
I am still going to hand out sessions, I am still going to offer mini sessions, and I am still willing to work with you about any situation you may face along the way because I love this business. I love being able to offer memories that you'll cherish forever. To me, that means more than the dollar signs. If I could just photograph for free and still live just fine I'd probably do that, but that's not the way the world works and I need to start a mold for the life I hope to have one day. This is why I am making changes. This is why I've needed to make changes. I hope all of you are along for the ride ;)






2 comments:

  1. ok....you just made me cry Melinda Harris!! I am so proud of you and your accomplishments, as you are very well aware <3 Love you and keep doing what you love, your very Talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok....you just made me cry Melinda Harris!! I am so proud of you and your accomplishments, as you are very well aware <3 Love you and keep doing what you love, your very Talented!

    ReplyDelete